Monday, March 22, 2010

Just notes

Hi everyone,

Thought I would stop by and drop off some notes. We found this wonderful book at the library called MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, and Lifebook For the Farmgirl in all of us. ISBN # 1400080479, check it out if you get a chance!

This book has lots and lots of idea's and projects, but I only had so much time today so here is just a few things I came across while scanning the pages.

permapak.net/solarfooddryers.htm

dryit.com

lehmans.com

maryjanesfarm.org

I love this saying "It is not the man in my life that I love, it is the life in my man"

On Page 366: Learn how to make Fire-Roasted Sweet Corn.
Here is a simple list. Place unhusked ears in large pan of water to soak for about an hour. Get fire ready. Remove corn from water and place on grill. Do not set corn directly above the flames. Slowly steam the corn. Set a pan of butter by the fire and place a bouquet of rosemary stalks tied in twine with one end steeping in the butter and the other resting against the edge of the pan. Let the heat melt the butter as the corn cooks but do not let the butter burn. Rotate the corn every 5 - 10 minutes so they cook evenly. After about 30 minutes, check for doneness by pulling back the husk a bit, if it is done the kernels will be bright yellow and steaming. Brush on butter with the rosemary bouquet.

On page 368: Learn to make Hobo Dinners. Arrange individual portions of meat, potatoes, vegetables(carrots, spinach, zucchini), herbs (squeeze of lemon, slices of apples, and sprigs of thyme), and butter on squares of heavy duty tinfoil, twist to close and place directly in hot coals. Cooking time vary according to ingredients.

Also look for MaryJane Butters workbooks at a local store near you or over the internet. I already have my copy on order. What a great book to keep around!

L & D
The Vegetable Hatt

4 comments:

  1. The rosemary bouquet as butter brush on the roasted corn is just a lovely touch. I think I'll have to check out this book from the local library, if they have it. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. We are planning to try it this week after picking up some fresh corn from the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that. :) I'm always on the lookout for new books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could help out Dani. I tried the corn yesterday and it was a big hit with my hubby and kids.

    ReplyDelete